Monday, December 19, 2011

And I Remember ...


Blizzard of February, 2011


 2011. December. A week of intense work deadlines and everyday life had left me spent and empty. All it took was Sarah McLachlan and the Barenaked Ladies singing their version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" to cause me to tear up and let it go. It’s usually when we think we’re doing our very best to keep up our fake facade that those cracks begin to slowly show up. You only see them when you look close enough and life is hard enough already. It’s good to let it go and exhale. Rest. Remember. Worship. That is what the song is calling us to do.
“God rest ye merry gentlemen; Let nothing you dismay.
Remember Christ our Savior was born upon this day.
To save us all from Satan's power when we were gone astray.
O tidings of comfort and joy.
Comfort and joy.
O tidings of comfort and joy.



Caitlyn gave birth to a little boy on February 25th. Taj arrived a little early due to a few medical complications; but, he is healthy, growing and a beautiful addition to our family. His two bottom teeth finally came in and he is busy standing up with the aid of furniture, trying to bypass crawling altogether. I enjoy watching “Little Einsteins” with Taj because he enjoys the music and I like the art. On Christmas Day, Taj will be 10-months-old. He makes us laugh and has given us new names, “Nana” and “Papa.”
From God our Heavenly Father, this blessed angel came;
and unto certain shepherds brought tidings of the same.
How that in Bethlehem was born the Son of God by name.
O tidings of comfort and joy ...


Let's go, Alex; let's go Hope!
Caitlyn and Alexandra are busy with their respective schools. Caitlyn continues her pursuit of her chemistry degree at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She added a French class this past semester, which was fun for me to talk to her about. Darrin and I are very proud of how hard she has worked to balance her school work and motherhood. Alexandra is now a high school sophomore at Chicago Hope Academy. She joined the volleyball and indoor soccer team this fall; but, basketball remains her favorite sport. During the Summer, Alex spent four weeks up at Honey Rock Camp in Wisconsin. She was able to kayak with her friends on Lake Superior. In November, family and friends helped us celebrate Alex’s 16th birthday with a Sweet 16 party at Palermo’s.
Alex (3rd from left) and her Honey Rock friends

O star of wonder star of night,
Star with royal beauty bright.
Westward leading still proceeding;
Guide us to thy perfect light.



Papa and Taj
Darrin continues to work at AT&T, but things are getting tough. Their union contract with the company is up next year; so, the union is telling everyone to prepare for the worst. Darrin’s joy and release comes from playing golf. Two of his friends, Kevin and Jay, are always willing to join him out at an indoor driving range in the colder months or at a park district course in the warmer weather. I was able to finally convince Darrin to sign up and train for two long-distance races, which we completed this past year: the Soldier Field 10 Mile, which we ran together on Memorial Day weekend and the 13.1 Chicago in June (his first half marathon). The 13.1 Chicago race was actually black-flagged due to weather conditions, but we were able to still make it across the finish line and receive our medals.

Born a King on Bethlehem's plain.
Gold I bring to crown Him again.
King for ever ceasing never;
Over us all to reign.
Foster the People
O star of wonder, star of night ...


U2
(I get my music appreciation from my mom).





Sir Paul McCartney


Bright Eyes

Jonny Buckland and Chris Martin of Coldplay

My year has been full of learning my new job responsibilities, training for two half marathons and lots of concerts (the music and running keep me sane). I probably attended more concerts this year than ever before. Arcade Fire and The National in April; Sugarland and Little Big Town in May (let’s say I accompanied the family because many know I’m not a country girl); the Go-Go’s in June down in Florida (Taj’s first concert); U2 and Interpol in July; Def Leppard and Heart; Paul McCartney at Wrigley Field in August; and I finally attended my first Lollapalooza, with headliner Coldplay on an incredibly hot Summer night at Butler Field surrounded by thousands. 

The second half marathon that I ran this Summer was the Chicago Half Marathon on September 11th. It was a special day as our country marked the 10-year anniversary of the
9-11 tragedy. A restored fire truck from New York was the lead vehicle for the race. I had purposed in my heart back at the start of my training that I'd run to honor the memory of the 2,977 people that were killed. It was a beautiful day for a run and we all stood together to remind the world that we will never forget. We ran strong in tribute to our fallen.
Glorious now behold Him arise.
Jennifer K. (left), me and Mark at the start of the Chicago Half
King and God and Sacrifice.
Alleluia, Alleluia.
Worship Him God most high.



Todd, me, Aunt Mickey and Uncle Bill
And I remember ... seeing my grandson for the first time; early morning prayers with a friend; the joy of freshly brewed coffee at 5:30 a.m.; still dreaming of Paris mornings and Dublin nights; Win Butler & company jumping right into “Ready to Start” with such raw, pure energy at the beginning of the set and then sliding right into “Keep the Car Running”; Wednesday night yoga; watching Taj roll over; cheese from Pastoral; honeysuckle growing wild and fuller hydrangeas; the community of runners and walkers that greet me during my weekend runs at Marquette Park; The Wizarding World of Harry Potter; the wisdom of older women; high-fives; singing along with Ann Wilson to all the songs that I grew up listening to on WLS; the hot sand of Cocoa Beach; a Winter wedding; watching Alexandra participate in her sporting events; hanging with my cousins in October; hearing of cancer diagnoses, but knowing my friends are winning the battle; chowder in Boston; apple picking; Mt. Monadnock in New Hampshire; witnessing one of my bosses find love and marry at 65; Friday night lights on the West Side - Chicago style; pushing myself to a point physically in weather conditions that I began to wonder if I had truly gone over the edge; seeing the city from Jackson Park on a Sunday morning; pushing myself to forgive; hugs from the 4's and 5's on Sundays; singing along with everyone to “Hey Jude” and dancing in the aisle when the old guy told me to sit down; answers to prayer; burgers at Sweetwater; lunchtime runs along the lake on hot Summer days; hearing a voice that’s still whispering; completing the 26.2 Windy City Challenge; watching and hearing the boys from Ireland perform an impromptu and rare version of “One Tree Hill”; the ability to fill my lungs with air to breathe and muscles that continue to propel this still 40-something body; and just how good God is.
"With or Without You" U2360 Soldier Field
July 5, 2011




O star of wonder star of night;
Star with royal beauty bright.
Westward leading still proceeding ...






Taj napping in my garden










2012. May the new year bring you much love and peace. We pray that during this holiday season, you will be reminded of the blessings and gifts that money cannot buy. “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.
Guide us to thy perfect light."
“God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” Old English Carol




Aunt Mickey and I atop Pack Monadnock







Layne and Caitlyn
















Alex, Judi, Sandy, Taj and Caitlyn
 
Canning-Nevills-Corona-Osborn Family



No comments: