Saturday, June 30, 2012

Hot Coffee, An Ice Bath & Expired Chomps

I'm pretty sure that when I glanced at the Weather Bug app on my phone around 6:45 a.m., it stated "95% humidity." Ideally, I should've been out of the house much earlier; but, it probably would not have mattered much.  After the first two blocks, I could feel my skin crawl with beads of sweat.  By the time I was a 1/4 mile from the house, I was yearning for a cup of coffee and an ice bath. (I know, the oddest of combinations; but, I made an amazing pot of coffee this morning). 

I knew I was running slow by the time I made it to Marquette Park and hit Mile 1.  Long runs should be run at a slower pace than your weekly training runs; but I was disappointed, nonetheless, once I heard my pace from my Nike+ running app.  I knew that this run would be tough because I had to skip Thursday's training run after coming down with a stomach bug.  I felt beat up all week.  This humidity and heat just added to my problems.  As I passed the playground after 7:00 a.m., there were people already playing in the water sprinkler. 


I felt "off" the first two miles. My legs would not turn over properly.  I could hear my feet dragging on the pavement.  I totally needed GU (energy gel) for this run; but we had none at home.  All I could come up with was a bag of GU Orange Chomps that had expired last fall.  Darrin wanted nothing to do with it, but I tucked it into my Spibelt "just in case."  2.5 miles into the run, I desperately tore open in the bag.  It was almost unpenetratable.  I tried opening it with my teeth, fingers and a water fountain.  Finally, it opened and I nudged out a carb-filled orangey square.  I ate another.  Awful.  I know that within 10 minutes of taking regular GU, I can feel the effects (glycogen levels go up and I'm back in business). Nothing was happening after I ate these Chomps.  Ate another.  Nothing.  Feet still dragging.  Ate another.  No pep in my step.  There really is something to say about expiration dates.  Lesson learned.

Today's run required two laps of the "big" loop (2.4 mi.) and one small loop (1.2 mi.) and the up and back from home.  On the last of the big loop, it felt as if I had lost every ounce of sodium in my body.  Since my fingers were starting to tingle, I played along to Adam Clayton's bass line on Mysterious Ways just to keep my fingers and the circulation moving.  Of course, then, I start to think about their concerts and being on the field for the opening night of the U2360 tour at Soldier Field and I begin to feel energized and it helps propel me on ... especially as All Because of You comes up next on the playlist.


"I'm alive.
I'm being born.
I just arrived, I'm at the door.
Of the place I started out from and I want back inside.

All because of you ... I am."
This was a challenging week (the week after vacation) and a difficult long run to complete.  It wasn't pretty, but it got done.  Things I'm grateful for this week:
  • Under Armour HeatGear Shorts
  • Body Glide
  • Sun Visors
  • My mom's prayers
  • A pedicure that has lasted all of June (and toenails, as well)
  • The gift of music
Most of all, I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to help change lives in Africa.  All of this training and sacrifice is for a purpose: we want to help bring clean, safe drinking water to women and children.  Did you know that 4,200 children die each day from dirty water?  You can help change lives in Africa by making a tax-deductible donation to support our efforts:

No comments: