Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Two after 10

My youngest child turned 10-years-old on Monday ... at 8:32 p.m. to be exact. She came into this world on a cold, Tuesday evening at St. Joseph's Hospital overlooking the lake. The contractions began soon after we arrived home from a doctor's appointment and ate a meal featuring gyros. I managed to get my contacts out and answer the standard questions by the nurse as my contractions rapidly fired out. It was my parents' anniversary and they were present to receive this gift. She was born within an hour from the time we arrived at the hospital. The residents on call told me not to push as they scrambled to get things ready. My doctor was on his way from Evanston, but he would not make it in time. Darrin was right by my side offering support and a strong hand to hold on to. I prayed aloud -- a specific prayer for only 2 or 3 more contractions -- because I was doing this as naturally and drug-free as this free spirit could handle. He heard my prayer and within a few minutes, our dark-haired, feisty daughter tumbled out and made her big appearance. There are some things you just do not forget ... nor should you.

No comments: