Thursday, May 24, 2007

In These Shoes




During yesterday's lunchtime run (which I should have not done since the knee had taken quite a pounding with consecutive day runs), I came across the exhibit "Eyes Wide Open: An Exhibition on the Human Costs of the Iraq War" at the corner of Jackson & Columbus. Over 3,000 combat boots, representing the lives of the U.S. soldiers that have been killed in Iraq, were layed out in neat lines in the park. Each pair included a tag that included the name of a soldier, their age and hometown. Some boots were the actual boots worn by that fallen soldier. Others had copies of pictures, momentos, flowers and news articles from the local paper attached to them. There were state flags and U.S. flags. It was humbling and moving; it left me sad and proud. Some of the men and women were only 18, 19-years old; others were in their late 40's.
After walking through the rows, I made my way back to Jackson and began the final stretch north down Michigan Avenue. The sky was blue and laced with humidity. I lifted a prayer up for the families of all those lost. See, I still have the freedom to run and pray openly without fear because the price for that freedom was paid by the men and women who lost their lives in wars battled throughout the history of our country. I am not worthy to even stand in their shoes.

No comments: