Monday, March 31, 2008

Let's Play Two!










Today kicks off the baseball season for our beloved Chicago Cubs and White Sox. The Cubs have a 1:20 p.m. start against the Milwaukee Brewers at Wrigley, but with dropping temperatures (we're around 41 right now), fog and rain in the mix, I'd be surprised if they're even able to make it to the 3rd inning. The White Sox will be facing the Cleveland Indians on the road this afternoon with Mark Buehrle taking the mound.

On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Chicago Sun-Times had published a little piece that I wrote in today's edition of their "Talk Back" section.

Warped Priorities:
I was appalled to read in Sneed's column on Thursday how Gov. Blagojevich issued his "help me on this" plea to local politicos in his eager attempt to help the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority buy Wrigley Field. What is he doing about the ever-escalating cost of college
education in the state of Illinois? Perhaps he should ask the state legislature to help him on doing something to put a lid on the costs of pursuing an education at the public universities in our state.

4 comments:

joshua said...

I must say that this is one of the very best blogs I've ever visited yet.

Congrats! Take these words like a blossom blessing as I'm bloging around.

PALAVROSSAVRVS REX

joshua said...

Fado, faena, fandango: may de Celts and Gaelic rule forever!

PALAVROSSAVRVS REX

Greg C said...

Maybe if they donated some of the 50 dollars it costs for a sporting event ticket towards education that might help things along. :)Good post.

Meridith said...

joshua: Thank you for the blossom blessing. Go mbeannaĆ­ Dia duit -- May God bless you!

greg: We're lucky to make it to a Cubs or Sox game maybe once or twice a year because of the ticket prices. If I'm lucky, my office gives me the firm tickets to use (but that's if no one else wants them and the weather is not too nice). Enjoyed your post on creationism.