Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Check Out My Dublin Picture on Schmap!


In mid-July, I was notified that one of my Dublin photos from my Flickr album was "short-listed" for inclusion in the fifth edition of the Schmap Dublin Map Guide. Schamp provides digital travel guides for destinations throughout Europe, the U.S., Canada, Australia and New Zealand (like Frommers and Fodors, but free). Although no payment is given for publication, the Schmap Guides do give photographers their work recognition and wide exposure. I just received an email this afternoon advising that my photo was selected for inclusion; so, I'd thought I'd share the news with all of my blog-world friends. The photo that they are using will be listed under the "Dublin Bus Tours" section. I even get a photo credit in the listing.

The photo was taken on a crisp, cool October morning outside of the Dublin airport on the morning that Janice and I arrived (that is her on the right). We loaded all suitcases and took the no. 16A Dublin Bus into the famed Temple Bar area of Dublin. It was rather adventurous as we weren't really sure just where to get off the bus once we made past the River Liffey. I mean, I had studied maps of Dublin religiously before our trip, but once when you're in a foreign country, it can be very different. Anyhow, instinct kicked in and we got off the bus right near Dame Street and Dublin Castle (a few blocks away from The Clarence) and we scurried north up the cobblestone streets with our big suitcases in tow and a week full of adventure to be had.

3 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

First: I like the new look!

2nd: That's awesome.....I had one from my Las Vegas trip that Schmap used....those folks must get around!

Meridith said...

WW: The site was a little dark and needed to be lightened up a bit. I'd really like to customize it a whole lot more, but the challenge is always finding time to fiddle around with it.

When I got the email from Schmap that my pic made the final cut, it turned a really BAD day into a HAPPY day ... seems a little silly, but it's always those small things in life that bring you much pleasure.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Happy Anniversary.....I hope you two have a great time, and don't forget to enjoy one another......which I bet you won't ;)