Friday, May 02, 2008

Sights, Sounds, Smells & Calculations

It is a glorious, Spring morning ... if you have the pleasure to be marooned at home on this rainy, first-Friday of May. As I walked up to the 'el station, the air smelled just like it did when I walked through St. Stephens Green last autumn. A certain freshness that envelops your senses and makes you feel more alive, even on a cloudy, gray day.

I am almost at the seven month post-Ireland mark; which, in reality, should probably be defined as "five months to the one year anniversay of our trip to Ireland." I know, I'm a little OCD on these type of things.

The peonies in my garden are growing by leaps and bounds. I placed the ring supports around them last night because they're shooting up rapidly. My Japanese peony will be yielding blooms just in time for Caitlyn's 16th birthday.

Sounds that I like to hear:

  • George Harrison's slide guitar towards the end of the song "What is Life";
  • a groggy "I'm up" when I call up to Alex on a school morning;
  • laughter among friends;
  • the good news of babies being born to friends;
  • joining along with a few thousand friends singing Psalm 40 ...




What sounds do you like to hear?

3 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

While away, I found that I missed all of our birds chirping just outside the house in the evening.......CA had different chirping birds - it wasn't the same.

Meridith said...

Chicago birds mostly chirp in the mornings.

California is never the same.

Mmm Granola. said...

I like to hear the sound of rain against my window while I'm reading a good book, early in the morning by Andrew osenga, and the sound of laughing children and giggling adults. :o)